Special Problems Today
- If WM won't load - CHECK YOUR FB SECURITY SETTINGS. If SECURE BROWSING says "in migration" change it back to DISABLED. FB automatically changed some of your settings without informing you.
- If you are having issues with FF not keeping your saved options/history from one session to another, here's a few things to know: SaveBugA
- If you are having issues with your sidekicks fetching posts in WM2, check your sidekick docking wait time. WM2 assumes your sidekicks are docked after waiting X seconds. If that is not true, which is now not usually the case since GM1.0 and FF 14, sidekicks may trip the fetching process. This is not an issue in WM3 beta due to how WM3 handles sidekicks. In WM2, go to the options menu and change Basic Tech Options > Sidekick Docking > Sidekick Docking Wait. I suggest 15 or higher. This only affects initial load time waiting. WM 188.8.131.52 default was 3 seconds. I updated that to 15 on 4/28/13.
- Tested and approved with FF 20.0.1 and GM 1.8
- If you use autolike, and you make 1000 plus likes per 4 hour period, FB may like-ban you. Either stop using autolike, stop liking ALL posts, and/or reduce your quantity of posts that trigger autolike. There is a custom rule you can now import into your WM3 Rules Manager which can be found on the Rules Manager Code Share page. Its built for Pioneer Trail users, but a little modification can help keep your autolike ban potential down.
- Can anybody confirm: WM 2 and WM 3 beta no longer working on version 0.x of Greasemonkey due to changes in Firefox at or around version 1.6.
- If you've been trying to edit scripts from Greasemonkey and nothing happens, you NEED to FIRST set up a script editor in greasemonkey. Older versions defaulted to your basic text editor, like notepad. Newer versions of GM have NO default value for some reason. Go to tools > greasemonkey > greasemonkey options. In that window that opens, find the button near the top with text "Select Script Editor" and click it. In the file dialog that shows, find and select your favorite text editor. The location for notepad (the most basic text editor in windows) is "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" under Windows7, and probably WindowsXP. Sorry I am not of much more use on other systems' text editors.
- The update script button in the beta is set to pull the WM2 current version, not the beta current version. You may wish to bookmark the install link for WM3 in your browser.
- See something like "Graph.fetchPosts: Could not parse 'null' into a date or time"? Are your sidekicks not fetching posts? They probably docked way late, after your user-set "Sidekick Docking Wait". Find that option in the options menu under Basic Tech Options > Sidekick Docking. The default value is 3 seconds, which is highly inefficient for FF 16 for some reason. Try 12+, or just be safe and do 30 seconds, especially if you have lots of sidekicks. What's happening is the first train to facebook town is leaving without all its passengers. Those sidekicks do not get a second chance to get their first posts in WM2. This is not an issue in WM 3 beta, because there is no train. Each sidekick takes its own motorcycle to facebook town. I won't be patching this for WM2 since its a non-issue in WM3.
- See something like "Graph.fetchPosts: the initial request for data has not been returned yet", repeatedly. This is not an error, its a warning. It does not crash the script. It means my Graph object has recorded that it sent a request to facebook. That request never came back, crashed without error, or something similar. My Graph object knows not to hammer on facebook for the same data, because returns of the same data are useless, and hammering facebook is generally naughty. What can you do? Well first, wait a few seconds. If after just a few seconds you don't get a return so you can move on, you'll know you have a network bottleneck. What you should do is close firefox. Maybe even disconnect from your network. Wait for it to finish pooping, then restart that connection. Fire up firefox and get working again. For some reason, this is common since FF 15, and even moreso with FF 16. I personally blame the implemention of GM1+'s xmlHttpRequest, but I cannot pinpoint the exact issue. I'm getting this even outside WM with FF 16.0.2.
- See something like "graph initialized" and then nothing else? On 11/15 I made the stupid mistake of updating a library file specifically for the beta, but the update killed the fetching capability for anybody that would subsequently download or update WM2 standard. That's entirely my stupid fault and I fixed that 11/17 by making a branch of my graph api library. That means all users who upgraded or installed a standard or beta version between 11/15 and 11/18 will need to upgrade or install again that script. This normally does not require anything but clicking the upgrade or install links or buttons for this script. This is not an issue with sidekicks, this is an issue with the WM host script. You will know the script is updated again when WM2 reaches version 184.108.40.206+. WM3beta users will want WM3.0b8+.
- Since the upgrade of GM to 1.0 and beyond, WM2 may jam if any request times out. See GM1_TimeoutBug.
- (for the lazy) restart your browser and just carry on as normal
- (better) in your script directory, delete the script with number 130454 to force a newer version of the wmGraph library to install.
- (best) force an update of WM, but make sure your update got the new 130454 script. It should read version 3.0.1+. Version 3.0.1 has some GM 1.0 specific functions, such as their new built in request timeouts.
- Some aspects of the above issue carry over into the main WM script. This may cause PT bonus collection to fail in odd cases. Other current sidekicks are unaffected. The issue should be fixed by WM 3.0's release.
Error: unterminated string literal<br />Source File: file:///C:/Users/<profile name here>/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/fa8798fv.default/gm_scripts/FB_Wall_Manager-1/86674.user.js<br />Line: 1867
- If you are having an issue with your connection to the facebook database (for any reason), you will get one of the following messages in the debug console, and it will go no further: "Graph.fetchUser()" or "Graph.fetchPosts()". What is happening is the WM script has sent a request to the FB graph api and is awaiting a response. You may at some point get "Graph.fetchPosts: the initial request for data has not been returned yet" as mentioned above. See that listing above for details.
Quick Setup -- Please Read
- New Users, please head over to New User Setup.
- If you have been away from WM for a while and just recently come back, you should also read the New User Setup because much has changed in WM 2. With each major change will come difficulties for those who have not updated in a while.
Firefox needs to be altered slightly to work best with this script.
- Set up Firefox to allow closing of tabs/windows opened by this script: Instructions
- Set up Firefox to keep new tabs/windows from stealing focus: Instructions
- Disable HTTPS mode by going to the Facebook Security Tab and be sure it says "Disabled". FB and some games have been issuing a notice randomly to people suggesting they switch to secure browsing. Do not switch to secure browsing. ALWAYS read up on something before you just click something somebody suggests.
- You MUST be logged into FB to use this script or it cannot determine who you are and will not fetch any posts. Please log in BEFORE you go to the launch page. DO NOT try using the debug window to log in, even if a login box shows there.
- You cannot block pop-ups from www.facebook.com or sidekicks will not work. Enter the Firefox options menu: Tools > Options > Content (tab) > Block Popup Windows (checkbox) > Exceptions (button). Then make sure you have an exception for "www.facebook.com". Feel free to block anything else you need to.
- Many sidekicks will not properly identify and collect posts for non-English layouts. Some sidekicks have the luxury of not having to use written language to identify posts, but many do not. Because these sidekicks are provided free of charge, do not berate or beg sidekick creators to add your chosen language. They have just as much right to ask you to start using the English (US) facebook layout. Work with what you have, and be thankful for the work somebody gave you for free.
- You cannot use GreaseMonkey "global excludes" that exclude many facebook addresses. Older versions of wall manager and its sidekicks ran rampantly across facebook, but newer sidekicks are more focussed in their locations. If you have any questions about which addresses you can block script from running on, refer to the @include sections for each sidekick, as well as the WM host script. Also be aware that sidekicks need to change their includes occasionally due to changes by facebook or their represented games, so be willing to change. In fact, you should use only scripts that have more specific include statements and avoid those with sloppy targeting. You should not have to use global excludes at all.
- If you are having issues, always check to make sure your script is up to date. Download links can be found on the Downloads page.
Other Bugs and Known Issues
- Facebook does not call the required "onload" function when you move from page to page using their links. You need to Refresh the page to start/restart your script if you use their links. FB causes the address bar to lie about where you are. This is not an issue with this script, but the way facebook works.
- Here may actually cause some of my scripts to stop working, such as the RwF Message Center Assistant and the FB Auto Publish (see OtherScripts). If you want to use these global excludes and use those scripts, simply remove any global excludes that mention the following: Dialog, Connect, Plugins, Posts, Pages and Lists. WM requires Lists if you intend to run it there. RwF scripts and FB AutoPub require the rest. In addition many of the sidekicks need to access apps.facebook.com, so remove any that refer to that address. The WM script specifically functions on a facebook pages object so you need to unblock that as well. The new includes/excludes are set to be very specific so as to not need those global excludes. In time, the sidekicks will also be more specific. Generally avoid using Global Excludes.
- HTTPS mode. This causes all hell to break loose. Some games wont work, scripts cannot use back doors, and sidekicks can't talk to the main script body. Do please read the HTTPS document for my rant on this. Its not a bug with this script, with GM or FF. Its just how the world works.
Report a Bug
When you post a bug, make sure you post (ALL not SOME):
- the browser name and version (do not say up to date). This is located in the help menu under about.
- the version of GreaseMonkey you are using (do not say up to date). This is located on your firefox add-ons manager, under the extensions tab.
- the version of the WM script you are using (do not say current, as current is relative). The version is displayed on the console, or if your console is not loading, can be found in the greasemonkey script manager.
- the version of the Sidekick you are experiencing problems with as well as WHAT sidekick you are using (without name and version of sidekick I can't identify sidekick related issues). This is found in the options menu, or can be found on the greasemonkey script manager.
- which page you are running the script on by copying and pasting the address from the browser's address bar. Remember the script no longer runs on feeds or profiles. (everybody should be on the same page, literally. I check this part because if you are not listening to what is written above, it will show here.)
- You can also include (copy and paste) errors found in the browser's JS Console. Be sure to show only those errors that pertain to either this script or reference a line in the GreaseMonkey js file. I cannot use the rest and they are just a waste of space here on the wiki. You can make sure only errors are shown by clicking the error button on the top. Its like a tab, but does not look like a tab. Do not post warning or messages found in the console. Do not post anything about "proxy.installtrigger".
- Attach a picture of any useful information. Feel free to post the picture right to this wiki, otherwise just upload it to some site and give me the link. This is optional, but a picture can actually say 1000 words. Do not remove the address bar from your picture. Feel free to remove names and account numbers of people as I do not need them. If you have a debug console from WM, open it, and show the last line.
- You can now also use my custom Debug Window shown on the bottom of the screen. You can enable and set the sensitivity of your debug window in the options menu under Basic Tech Options. You should set your debug console to on, and also set the sensitivity to function calls. This console gets better and better with every revision, so use it if at all possible. It may not always appear if you are having more serious issues with WM. Refer to the JS console when it does not show (see two comments above).
- I cannot help you without this information, and will probably start ignoring posts from any user that omits all or most of the above information. Omitting it simply tells me you are not actually reading the wiki to try and help yourself first. While the JS console and information from the WM debug window are optional, I will ask you for one or the other eventually, so you might as well show what you got and save me the trouble of asking.
- If you simply post that "it dont work" or anything similar, I will ignore you, unless you are logged in and I remember who you are. Because I talk to so many people per week, if you do not log in, please do not expect me to know who you are.